Hi Stripes & Polka Dot readers! I'm thrilled to be guest posting for Kate while she's out of town this week. I'm Lauren and I blog over at Seventeenth & Irving about fashion, interior design, and art. I live in San Francisco, where I'm constantly influenced by my amazing city.
I recently got back from vacation at the beach myself, and I challenged myself to think about my vacation a little differently this year. Call it getting older, getting smarter, whatever you like, but this year I really focused on taking time off and recharging my batteries. I've had quite a busy year with a full time job and the blog (which I'm sure some of you can relate, is another full time job!) and I wanted to come back from vacation relaxed and rejuvenated.
Have you ever taken a digital break?
I happened to read the quote above before leaving for my vacation. I tried to remember the last time that I really let my guard down to relax and get away from it all. When was the last time I "heard" my surroundings? Sadly, I couldn't recall. Who had I become?
This vacation, I challenged myself to stay off Twitter, Facebook, blog reading, email checking, and streaming television. Let me tell you, this was no easy task. I was surprised by how hardwired my brain is to want to check these sites upon waking up, in my downtime, and right before I go to bed. I caught myself numerous times getting ready to hit the glowing blue "F" icon on my phone.
But, I persevered. And you know what? It worked. I came back relaxed, breezy, and happy.
If you've never taken a digital break, I highly recommend it. Even if it's just shutting things off for one day. You don't have to go to the beach. Go on a hike. Take a walk through your neighborhood. Breathe in nature. We live in a world of constant connection yet we've never been more disconnected from our surroundings.
Have you ever tried this? How did it make you feel? Were you able to easily do it, or was it harder than you expected?


